05 May 2008

Alien Plants

My parents have a Fritellaria in their yard. It doesn't bloom every year and I think the blossom often lasts only a day (perhaps because the deer fancy the taste). I was lucky enough to be there when Mom noticed it Saturday evening.


It was still going strong Sunday morning, when I spent a good long time drinking coffee and sitting on a fallen log. I did get myself motivated to take a few more photos before Dad and I went to play tennis.


Just a little reptilian looking, don't you think?

4 comments:

bockstark.knits said...

can't wait to see it blossom! i thought it was a sea shell on the plant!

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Really cool.

Kathryn said...

I looks a little like the sox in your last post.

Em said...

I planted a ton of those bulbs, but they all rotted, so that may be why your folks only have one. I too only have one, but sadly mine is yellow, not checkered. It bloomed this year for the first time and I was still psyched.

BTW, I'm pretty sure those pics are in full blossom. Mine never opened.