03 January 2010

100103 looks funny

Happy New Year!

Yes, I'm a bit late, I suppose, but I seem to be allowing myself to slow way down this holiday weekend. I did a few end-of-year sorts of reflections for myself on the evening of the 1st. I'm mostly staying inside, appreciating the sun pouring in my windows, but not venturing out too much as it's really freaking cold here this weekend. I'll probably go stir crazy sometime after sundown and need to go for a walk in the dark. Maybe there will be stars.

I am posting this clip because I think it might be the best wishes for a new year I've ever heard or read. I find the video quality a bit dodgy so I've put the text (which I found and mashed up to match the video on the author's website here) below the embed.



"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. May your coming year be a wonderful thing in which you dream both dangerously and outrageously. I hope that you will make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), I hope that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."

I couldn't say it any better than Neil Gaiman (whose work I've enjoyed immensely this year - I read and saw the movie Coraline, and read The Graveyard Book and American Gods). So my dear friends and readers, here's to surprising ourselves this year.

2 comments:

SMB said...

Lovely new year's wish!

and yes, 100103 looks more than funny - it sort of hurts my brain looking at it - it's the first time I've seen it written out this new year. Looks more like a code to a lock than the date.

Kris said...

That is a wonderful toast to kick off the fresh, new year.