Last weekend, I took a short break from helping out at Chiripa (after I set up a window display showcasing their excellent selection of rugs) to go see New School Knitting: The Influence of Elizabeth Zimmerman and Schoolhouse Press at UW-Madison's Design Gallery. Just inside the door, there was a little desk with a TV/VCR playing E.Z's knitting instruction videos in front of a couple of empty chairs. On the desk were balls of yarn and needles so a visitor could practice what Ms. Zimmerman was demonstrating. I didn't pick up the yarn, but I did learn how to do a long tail cast on withOUT tying a slip knot first. I don't know if it's better, but I've used it a couple of times already and I rather like not having a knot at the beginning of my cast on row/round. (what, it surprises you that I'm a knitting nerd?)
There was one problem with starting the exhibit with videos that teach old knitters new tricks: I missed the print-out of the exhibit catalog sitting on the corner of the guard's desk to my right. The attendant was busy doing calculus homework (or something similarly miserable-looking), listening to her iPod and generally taking advantage of the fact that I was the only visitor in the gallery. She was probably trying to finish her homework before the drop-in knitting session began a couple hours later. Anyway, I proceded around the room clockwise, admiring the works on display. Each item had a number on its display, but there was NO information about any of the pieces that I could see. I found a pair of mittens that looked interesting, especially since I'm on the lookout for great ideas for my secret KMKS partner and worried that there'd be no finding a pattern for them. I paused at the knitted "PEACE" banner, wondering when it was made, thinking of the New Yorker article about Pete Seeger that Dad saved for me, and sending a few wishes to the stars (thanks for listening). The Kaffe Fasset knit coat was easily identified, but the Day Lily coat, not so much. I noted that it was stranded rather than intarsia and that the CC's peeked out throught the MC field to lovely effect and thought it didn't look like E.Z's work, but whose?
Then, I found the catalog. It's online here and the handouts on the desk were for visitors to carry around with them. Oh well. Now, I know the mittens were: "Sideways mystery Mittens. Designed and Knitted: 1972 Designer and Knitter:Elizabeth Zimmermann Y"arn: Wool (Scottish Highland) Courtesy Meg Swansen/Schoolhouse Press;" the banner: Peace Banner. Designed and Knitted: 1970s Designer and Knitter: Elizabeth Zimmermann Yarn: Wool (type unknown) Courtesy Meg Swansen/Schoolhouse Press" and that beautiful jacket: "Lily Jacket. Designed and Knitted: 2005 Designer and Knitter: Joyce Williams Yarn: Wool (Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool) From the collection of the designer." I also saw several variations on a spiral yoke sweater - something to add to my future project list, I think. I also learned that while E.Z. said brioche stitch isn't good for circular knitting, her daughter Meg took the challenge and figured it out. I may have to try brioche soon, too. Interweave Knits has had a couple of nice patterns....
If you're in Madison, I recommend you stop by for a look. The exhibit didn't take long to see, but I'm really glad I went. Maybe the student curator will put together a book of patterns from the exhibit.....
1 comment:
Oh, I love EZ! I am so glad you got to see that. I am hardly knitting these days, but when I was starting out I thought she was really inspiring.
I have yet to encounter the gardening equivilant which proves that not every avocation is so lucky. I don't think I ever even made a single one of her patterns but her approach and ideas about knitting were a huge inspiration.
Post a Comment