Yesterday, I got to listen to Brenda Dayne (cue choir of angels) start her Cast-On series "Summer Camp." A lot of the show was about scouting. My Girl Scout experience was not the life-enhancing one many girls seem to find, but it did give me the opportunity to go (without my troop) to Camp Blackhawk the summer I turned 11. (The reason I uncharacteristically remember the year is too big of a diversion for this post.) Anyway, I was in the Water Otter 2 program and I loved it. After getting set up with the right sort of mosquito net (Dad helped me pack a net, but not one that quickly and easily covers your cot - those you pretty much have to buy at camp), I had a great time boating, swimming, horseback riding, singing (yeah, I even liked that part!).
All this podcast inspired reminiscing got a song stuck in my head. Here, join me in a round:
Make new friends, but keep the old One is silver and the other gold.
This, in turn, got me thinking about my friends. We've only got two weeks left in Vienna and I suppose that has a lot to do with it, too. We're having a small farewell party on Saturday with the people who helped us find our way in our new home. I'm not sure I'm ready to say good-bye. And there's a friend I've just met. I'm grateful to have the internet to help me nurture these relationships from far, far away.
At the same time, it will be good to be back in the arms of friends and family we haven't seen since February. There are summer parties being planned already - ones I know I would be sad to miss. The internet has been indispensable here, too. Blogging to keep you up to date on our comings and goings, comments and emails that let us know you're still there, Skype video knitting circle..... It made it an easier transition, I think.
Now, it's almost time to go home. Loyd is waiting:
p.s. Em, you're right, the blogs are blending. Knitting there, life in Vienna here; what's a girl to do?

3 comments:
Hopefully the computer and maybe Skype will make it a little easier to keep up with the new friends too.
Wouldn't they all like to come see the Spoonbridge and Cherry as much as Henry?
Hi Loyd, I know you will be the happiest dog ever to see your Mom back home. It's really too bad that we are considered dogs instead of family members when it comes to enter planes. Much love from your buddy over the pond, gino
i was being nostalgic and googling Camp Blackhawk. I went there also, in the dark ages of the mid 1960's.
Thank you for reminding me of that wonderful place.
Barb Durtche
barbaradurtche@gmail.com
Post a Comment