
Six Until Me has become one of those blogs I check every (week)day. It helps me to read about someone who's making it through life with the diabetes and facing the same fears, frustrations and successes I am. Its eloquent author, Kerri, has declared Monday, April 14 to be Raise Your Voice for Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Day and I'm playing along.
You may recall I've done a bigD Q&A, parts 1 & 2. If I'd had my act together, I would have asked for more questions to turn into a post for today.
Instead, a moment of commemoration. Thursday (4/10) marked my 7th anniversary of being on an insulin pump. In a way, I can't believe it's been that long and in another, I can hardly remember the days of syringes. The pump certainly doesn't make bigD disappear, but it does make life a lot easier. For example, this weekend I went to a very small town in Southern MN with the Minnesota Design Team. We have an intense weekend of information gathering and designing. We get fed plenty, but the timing can be unpredictable and there's a lot of guesswork in carb counting hot dish. Having a pump means I can give myself insulin whenever we get a moment to inhale some food and keep working. I tend not to test as often as I should on these weekends (I don't want to get blood on our boards - ok, really, I don't want to break the flow of creative energy), but I do test and I can easily add insulin to correct a high BG on the fly.
I'm also printing out a handout about Type 1 (you can find the pdf on here if you want to do the same) to put in the breakroom at work.
If you're interested in another round of bigD Q&A, please post your questions in the comments.
3 comments:
Great post - thanks for raising your voice for type 1 diabetes awareness!! :)
Thanks for commenting elsewhere. I'd not seen your blog before.
Keep telling folks about the big d (though I like to give it a lowercase letter)!
Hard to believe it has been seven years since you got the pump. It sounds like it was worth all of the initial insurance hoops etc.
Post a Comment