23 September 2008

Coming of Age


Last Thursday, my bigD turned 18. I realize that one's chronic condition cannot actually pull the lever (or mark the ballot with a crappy ballpoint pen as happens in my jurisdiction), but there was something motivating about realizing that I've been living with this disease long enough that it has turned voting age. I typically think to myself, "I haven't had bigD that long." But, you know, I really have. And it is still a challenge every. single. day. (minute?) Sure, there are days I don't let it worry me as much, but if someone were to watch the neurons firing in my brain on any given day I think we'd all be amazed how many of my thoughts are related to making up for my slacker of a pancreas. The tools have gotten better, but in those 18 years, we've seen no cure, the technology still requires a huge amount of user input and the risks are as high as ever. Oh, and the costs are phenomenal. I'm still waiting to understand my out-of-pocket expenses for all the supplies and dr. visits with my no-longer-new health insurance. Today, I picked up a refill of my insulin. Walgreen's has started putting the retail price on the info sheets. My two bottles, which last me ~1.5 months: retail $209.99; I pay $30. I'm not changing insulin - this one works for me really well and my life depends on it. But, holy hannah that's a big price tag. Without insurance, I'd be in a world of hurt. And I know that doesn't hold a candle to the pump supplies, test strips.... Ok, so I see the stats about how chronic diseases account for 3/4 of the nation's health care expenditures and I look at these bills and have a hard time arguing the point. But, here's the kicker: the expense of my diligent self-care is a tiny fraction of that 75% they throw around. The really big price tags come from end-of-life care and treating critical complications that could have been prevented by increased support for on-going self-care (statistically speaking that is; the hard work doesn't guarantee no complications for an individual, nor does less diligence guarantee tragedy).

So, all this is bouncing around my head and I decide to check out the Health Care Plans of the two major presidential candidates. No, I didn't expect this research to affect my choice, but I did want to see what they're saying. To be honest, neither quite has it to a point I'd like to see. The one that used a few key terms I was looking for had enough fluff to make me question whether any of the changes suggested will happen. The other talked "preventative care" but it sure didn't sound like he was talking about the sort I do every. single. day. Based on the health care plans, I can't endorse one over the other. I've got a favorite based on a more holistic view and I'm putting my hopes in that basket. Here's what I hope you'll do (I guess this is mostly for my US citizen readers):

1. Register to vote (if you haven't already).
2. Research the candidates, even the watershed district commissioner (you never know who will end up a VP candidate someday). Try to figure out, honestly, how they stack up with your values and the real issues that matter to you.
3. Talk about those issues with your friends.
4. If the candidates aren't getting the point, let them know (I need to write a letter or two myself - and I may just post them here to satisfy item 3).
5. On November 4, VOTE DAMMIT!!!! I'll be taking bigD with me, as always.

4 comments:

Em said...

Not quite sure how we'll ever deal with the enormously high cost of health care.

I also think there have been some small steps toward prevention at the insurance level. Our new insurance plan gives us $500 per family per year to use towards gym memberships or massage or acupuncture.

Ultimately the kind of changes that we might both support seem like they will always be blocked by the folks who make and provide the care.

Just curious about your insulin -- I am surprised that insulin isn't generic and cheap, like say, albuterol for my kids' asthma. Is it because of the cost in producing it?

Great post.

peaknits said...

I appreciate your passion - I agree, I will not be apathetic - I promise:)

janicegalep said...

your back...and I'm glad.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Do you think the Big D would be a Democrat or Republican?