27 July 2008

Le Fin du Tour

It's all over in Paris. The champagne has been drunk (while riding no less), the final winners' jerseys zipped up, the photos taken. I'm guessing the riders are sleeping soundly or maybe they're soaking exhausted muscles in posh bathtubs....

A few hours after watching the pageantry, my Notre Dame de Grace pullover is complete as well. There was coffee drunk while sewing up the seams and weaving in the last ends, the photos follow. Now, the dear garment is soaking in a bucket, bleeding out the excess dye and waiting for a good blocking.

I can't quite believe I did it, but even with a few days of debating strategy during the last stages in the Alps, I finished the sweater in the time limit. Ok, she could use a button, but that's icing. And I'm still considering whether she needs an edge of black at the cuffs (already plenty long) and hem - feel free to weigh in on that, dear readers - but she is wearable. I slipped her on ever so briefly this steamy afternoon to be sure I didn't need to start looking for someone worthy of such a gift (she's all mine).

Oh, for the record, the kind staff at Borealis Yarns helped me select Cascade Pastaza for the shoulders and collar to complement the Wollmeise Worsted I nearly ran out of. It worked out just fine. Now, I'm going back to lace on size 3 needles and socks on 0s, neither with any particular deadline - my "champagne."



5 comments:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

It's gorgeous.

Em said...

Nice work on your part (of course) and the yarn stores for helping you with the substitution!

peaknits said...

nice job! I really like the contrasting shoulders - gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

"She" is wonderful like everything made by your talented and loving hands ! And here's to an abundance of champagne. Or rather Moscatolino ?

whywouldyouknitthat said...

Your pullover turned out nicely! Good job.