Le Tour de France KAL has a regional challenge going...
If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have taking the biking option as I did pump up the tires on my old Giant Iguana yesterday for a cruise past Borealis Yarns, over a bridge w/harrowing switchbacks, through an industrial area, around Como Lake and back. I could have rigged up a bike cam and it would have been a blast. But, all I did was ride and wish I weren't being all responsible and wearing a helmet.
So, instead, I'm taking the France option. I want to send you to my favorite spring recipe: Bon Appetit's Lemon Tart from the May 1999 Provence "special collector's edition". There are a bunch of great recipes in this (now stained and dog-eared) issue of the magazine, each featuring one of 20 signature ingredients of the region. In addition to the out of this world lemon, you'll find Lamb, Zucchini, Artichokes, Goat Cheese, Asparagus, Almonds, Beef, Anchovies, Garlic, Honey, Herbes de Provence, Tomatoes, Wild Mushrooms, Swiss Chard, Fennel, Eggplant, Basil, Olives, and Bell Peppers. Just flipping through these recipes again, I realize why I'm in love with Provence. Or maybe Provence is why I'm in love with these foods. Either way, the flavors of the French countryside are calling to me again. Do you think I can hush them just a bit by whipping up a tart? I may just have my theme for the next time I host our cooking club....
I hope our Garmin-Chipotle boys get to taste a few of these flavors while they rest up tomorrow for another big mountain days.
As for my knitting, I feel like the chain is about to come off.... I'm down to very little yarn and am not done with the sleeves, much less the collar. I have sent a desperate message to a friend in Munich who may be able to help me out, if I'm very lucky. Even so, I think my sprinting days of 2008 are almost over. If he doesn't have a skein of what I need (or a way to find me another source), I'll be looking for a solid (black? green? blue?) yarn of comparable weight to redo the shoulders and collar (and add a tiny boarder to the hem and cuffs). After I get over my depression, that is. Good thing cold weather is still hard to imagine.
5 comments:
Greetings from a fellow Garmin Chipotle team member. I am competing in the yellow jersey category.
Your Notre Dame de Grace looks almost as delicious as the provencal recipes sound.
Good luck in the sprint and the Green Jersey.
My Dearest Friend, this post leaves me hungry (and not longing for sports !) Thank you for the tarte au citron recipe - I think you mentioned it earlier here in Vienna. And I want you know that at the moment I am also totally in love with Provence (coincidence ? If there are any in life at all...) so maybe it would be a good idea to go there together around my 50th birthday in 2010...
Joining you as usual in sunshine, heat and depression, whatever
big hugs from your Vienna home
angelika and gino on behalf of the whole team
Oh H! I am sorry to hear that your yarn is running out! That is no direction for your project to go - especially since you are so far into it!
mmmm.....lemon tart. I usually use Jamie Oliver's recipe for lemon tart but now I'm going to have to give yours a try! Looks amazing.
Thank you for the links -- wouldn't it be great to eat your way through Provence?!
Post a Comment