
Three things I haven't been able to find yet so I thought I'd ask you.
1. I was reading about smocks, aprons, etc. Rae Eames had a sort of uniform - she'd wear a white shirt and and a smock she designed and made in multiples (my source: Keri Smith).

I love this idea, though I doubt that I will adopt it. It has made me think, though, that I'd like a smock sort of thing to put over my clothes when I get home. I'm not big on changing after work, but sometimes I'd like a little protection so I can just start cooking/painting/drawing/.... Clicking around today, I found this jumper pinafore dress for a little girl. I think that's the shape I'm thinking. Maybe turn the applique bird into a pocket? But, I know nothing about drafting patterns. Anyone know where I might find a grown-up version of this sort of pattern?
2. I want a doctor bag for my knitting like this or this, but I want to use my own fabric and customize the pockets, etc. So far no luck finding a pattern for this either. I asked Trish of Crafty Planet and she thinks our best bet is to ask Amy Butler to make one. This will result in a challenging pattern (for me), but I'll take it! What do you say Amy? (yes, I'm a bit delusional thinking she'll actually see this post - let me know if you've seen one already in existance.)
3. It's time for a new blog template. I have found a severely limited number of free blogger templates out there that have any appeal to me. The designer of the current template seems to have disappeared (perhaps due to the new format/language used by blogger). I'm willing to stay old school and edit my html (I can edit it, but I can't write it), but even those are hard to come by. If you know of any off the beaten path template sources, please let me know. Even better: if you find a template that makes you think of me, please send it my way.
I think there should be some return on your investment of time helping me out here so there will be prizes, most likely something sewn + chocolate. I would like to tailor my thank you gift to the recipient, so final prize(s) will be determined later.
thanks!
ps: I found the photos of Charles and Rae Eames here.
5 comments:
Not exactly like the smock, but have you seen the Orla Kiely apron at Target?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrieningles/3260126571/
Also eBay is full of vintage Dr. bags. Maybe you were looking for something you could make, but it might be a start.
I have a couple of finds I have been coveting - I think the apron here is so sweet - I have the pattern and have even washed and ironed the fabric...now I'm a little stalled.
http://montessoribyhand.blogspot.com/2007/12/emmeline-apron.html
And the blog designers at Knuckleheaders have some great ideas and seem reasonably priced. They have inspired me to at least think about making a change...
http://www.knuckleheaders.com/
Have fun implementing!
I am loving the Amy Butler stuff right now. My current purse is from her!
I just stumbled onto your blog and as soon as I clicked through, I thought, "Hey, nice design!" :)
I'm hoping to join the knitting club sometime this year. I can crochet, but knitting (two hands? whaaaa?) is a whole different mindset for me.
Thanks for linking out to me, and good luck with your redesign!
- Kerri.
Post a Comment