01 March 2009

tDR in the News Again

I keep forgetting to tell you about this... the Dining Room (the little restaurant in Vienna for which I am the "godmother") is in the news again, this time in Travel + Leisure. See the article here or, better yet, watch the slideshow (tDR is slide #10).

To be honest, I'm not sure why the legend of Gino stealing the bread pervades stories of tDR. Ok, he took a slice from the NY Time's reviewer's table, but with more than a year of work as a restaurant dog under his collar, Gino's showing more self control these days and waits for the bread to be offered (most often in the kitchen by the staff). It's a cute angle to the story, I suppose, but it's time for these journalists to go back and find something new to write about. I think there's plenty to be found in the food itself, not to mention the chef who has become one of my dearest friends despite being a very long plane ride away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are perfectly right, Auntly H. - it's just a legend. Wet kisses, gino

PS: My Mom is totally in love with this entry. And both of us will be so happy to see you back soon. One of my most beloved cushions has been put into YOUR room - and I am waiting there for you to move in again!

Em said...

Cool that the restaurant is getting some press.

I sympathize with your feeling that sometimes reporters are lazy. I've seen it in music writing again and again -- though Gino's mom probably doesn't send out a press release -- it's still no excuse for everyone to say the same thing.