15 April 2009

Remote - why?

On Tuesday, I walked out of my office building with a project manager from another department. I crossed the lot to my car and heard an engine start which naturally made me look because most of the vehicles in our lot are really big and I didn't feel like getting run over that afternoon. I saw that a Chevy Avalanche had revved to life and that the p.m. I'd walked out with was stepping around the hood and opening the driver's door of that truck.

Ok. I live in Minnesota. Remote starters are not unknown to me. I've never had one in part because I prefer a standard transmission and they only work on automatics. Also, Click 'n' Clack say you should warm up your car by driving it, not by letting it idle in front of your house while you drink another cup of coffee in the house. Yes, there are brutally cold days here when a person would like the car's heater to blow something slightly warmer than the outside air, but still....

And now I remind you that it is April. While snow in April is not unheard of in these parts, we have none on the ground, nor any forecast. It was nearly 70 this afternoon. Tuesday it may have been 10 degrees cooler, but it was a sunny spring day. There was no need for advance heating of the climate control system. So I ask: why on earth would a person want to start his truck before he climbed into it? Does he just like to burn cash in the tailpipe?

2 comments:

peaknits said...

I dn't get that either - and you're right - Click and Clack definitely wouldn't like it!

Kris said...

I'll bite. Now, assuming said vehicle was in a surface lot, with the sun beating down on it, it was too HOT. Instead of warming up the car, p.m. was cooling it down with the air conditioner ('cause driving with the windows down would be so hick).