12 July 2009

wilted

I had been really good about watering my container garden this summer. At first, I watered in the early morning and late evening every day. Once everything seemed well-established, I allowed myself to cut back to once a day most days, but checked the soil anytime I walked between house and garage. The plants expressed gratitude by looking more fabulous that I thought I'd ever be capable of cultivating.
Then, I went away for the better part of three days this weekend. As I opened the garage door, juggling my bags, I noticed that my giant Black Plum tomato looked forlorn. All the leaves at the top are curled and drooping. Clearly, we didn't get rain this weekend. Much to my surprise, the smaller containers' plants looked better, but none looked as vibrant as they did on Friday.
As soon as I managed to get the house door unlocked, I dumped my bags inside and headed out with the watering cans. I'm planning to give them all another drink tonight and try to make it up to them with a good soak in the morning as well.
No more "vacations" for me until harvest time?

3 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

That or you'll have to recruit some watering help! :-)

angelika said...

Well, plants seem to have a soul, too. They were missing you (like I am ;-) Lots of love and have a good start into a new week, a. (+ g, of course, should have been "we" are missing you)

Em said...

Hope they recover!

I think we've had so much rain that my containers never dry out properly, and the basil has been savaged by four line plant bug. Doesn't kill the plant but makes the leaves look ugly, and who wants ugly herbs in their food?