14 November 2009

Happy World Diabetes Day!


I started celebrating yesterday, in hopes that the AIA-MN Convention-goers might notice that, instead of the uniform of black, black and more black, one of their one was decked out in blue. I made a necklace inspired by the blue circle logo (see above), painted my nails (a really ugly) blue, wore a blue sweater, denim skirt and blue tights. Only one stranger asked what was up. And one friend. We might need to find a more obnoxious color for this occasion.

I am having better luck on Facebook. Apparently writing about the occasion gets more attention than dressing for it.

Tonight, we're celebrating my grandfather's 90th birthday (which is Monday). I'll be dressed nicely for the family portrait, including the necklace and blue tights. I'm keeping the nail polish, which I can hide from the photo.

Most of the time I live in a way that makes diabetes hard to see. That others aren't looking makes it invisible. For a couple of days, I'm using blue to bring it to light. Is anyone looking?




3 comments:

JennaKate said...

I'm looking... I see you! Your activist/advocate spirit shines. Hope your well - let's sit and knit again soon?

janicegalep said...

I am. I see you, and I support your cause.

MoD said...

I'm looking! Very nice necklace. Me likey.