11 May 2010

Don't Let Me Down


Day 2 (Making the Low Go) of Diabetes Blog Week.

For those of you reading who don't have a lot of experience living with/around bigD, there's likely to be too much lingo in my posts this week. In a lot of ways, I'm writing them for the DOC (Diabetes Online Community). And I'm writing them for me because I keep a lot of this to myself and I think sharing it this week might be good for me. But, I don't want to alienate those of you who stop by because you're personal acquaintances or knitters. Please bear with me this week and feel free to ask questions in the comments. I'm happy to answer. And welcome to the D-corner of my life, it's not the prettiest, but it's real. Now, on to today's topic: my favorite way to treat a low blood sugar.
One more administrative note before we get on to the real (and short this time) post... T3 pointed out to me that this week marks the 40th anniversary of release of the Beatles' Let It Be album. To honor that, I'm using song titles from the album for my post titles the rest of DBW. Thursday might be a stretch, just warning you now.


My arsenal against lows

My preferred low blood sugar treatment has evolved over time. For quite a while, lows were a good excuse for candy. "Fun Size" M&M's, Kit Kats or Twix were easily consumed 15-16g of carbs without having to think too hard. If I have to count, I'm likely to overtreat (except with glucose tab's which I hate).

A couple of years ago, I decided to wean myself off the candy. If I want chocolate, I can bolus for the good stuff. So, I started using Juicy Juice grape, in the 16g of carb "great for toddlers" size.
Then, before a trip when I knew I just didn't want to explain my need for a juice box at the airport security line (though it has worked fine before), I found Cliff's fruit ropes. Yummy, (mostly?) natural and 15 or 16g. Perfect. I've added Annie's Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks (berry patch) and Fruitabü smooshed fruit (so far: grape and strawberry) to my pool of low treatments. I don't know that these give me anything better than the juice, but I like having some variety available.

I do keep a tube or two of Sour Apple (the least offensive flavor in my opinion) glucose tab's in the glove compartment of my car since they're not susceptible to extreme temperatures.

PS: It's quite a coincidence that as I'm finishing up this post, my CGM keeps warning me that I'm low after a whole afternoon spent steadily high. But, I've eaten and I've treated and I just need a little time for the sliver of rhubarb custard pie to kick in. I'll probably be soaring by bedtime. Ahhh, the rollercoaster.

3 comments:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

I find these posts fascinating. Such an intimate look at (a big) part of your life I know nothing about. Thank you for sharing.

What does bolus mean?

I read it a "bollocks" and it makes me giggle every time.

I'm very mature.

Karen said...

As a knitter and a diabetic, I always like all of your blog posts. :)

I've seen several people say they use Fruitabus to treat lows - but they just don't bring me up. In fact, I buy them just to have as a snack and I never need to bolus for them. Weird, huh?

Anonymous said...

As a diabetic and a friend of two awesome knitters who blog, I too like all of your blog posts. :-)

I think one of my problems with treating lows is I often use them as an excuse to eat something I've been resisting. Then I over treat, and there goes the roller coaster.