15 January 2011

Art Bonus

Last week, I had a very quick business trip to Boca Raton, FL. My colleague (S) and I were given a gift card to a restaurant in Mizner Park so after we finished our work, we headed over there and decided to walk and window shop before dinner. We got to the end of the street and saw the Boca Raton Museum of Art would be open until 9. We walked in and and were greeted with "the museum is open and FREE tonight!" It's a very nice museum, not overwhelmingly large, but with a good variety. S noticed that there were several artists born in MN represented. I was delighted to see that there were a lot of women represented on the walls. There were a couple I've heard of but most were new names to me, including about a dozen paintings by Theresa Ferber Bernstein featured as a mini-exhibition. The museum didn't make a big deal about gender, but I noticed and appreciated a good mix that is sadly uncommon in a lot of museums.

This little surprise reminded me that I want to visit my local museums more often. Time to put some art dates on my calendar...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MIA is hosting the mourners. Not sure if statues are your thing, but it's supposed to be a superb exhibit.

--- Michael

Scott K. Johnson said...

What a cool surprise! :-)

BTW - I'm loving the new look of your bloggity blog here sis!

Jane K. said...

It seems there are great little museums tucked away in small towns all over this great country. Be sure to visit Emily Dickinson's Homestead in Amherst, Massachusetts; the Pony Express Station in Gothenburg, Nebraska; Tread of Pioneers Museum in Steamboat Springs, Colorado; Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Mansfield, Missouri (for starters). I just realized that there is a history theme to the museums I've listed.