
I don't usually write directly to one reader, but I need to for a second... Grandma, please forgive the terminology; stay with me, I think you might like it in spite of a word you wouldn't likely say in polite company.
Allison noted that the blog world has been pretty quiet lately. I may be guiltier than anyone, but there is some chatter out there - especially of the New Year's Resolution sort. While I'm not big on resolutions (I make 'em and break 'em all year round), I find myself reflecting and seeking intention this time of year. Maybe it's peer pressure, but it's not all bad. I circled back around to Summer Pierre's "Screw It!" philosophy last week. It still doesn't quite work for me. I get what she's up to with that and I wish I could make it work for me, but one of the things I like about myself is that I do care and "Screw It!" feels like throwing the good (caring) out with the bad (caring so much I get stuck).
Then I found Chookooloonk's definition of "BADASSERY!" (Yes, that does demand all caps and an exclamation point.) Now this is something I can get behind. It really isn't that far from "Screw It!", but it feels (to my gut) less cavalier and more gentle (not weak, mind you). I see myself in some of the definitions (go read them if you haven't, I'm not big on stealing the text out of Karen's blog) and I see things I want to develop in myself in all of them. So, I'm adopting BADASSERY! as my guiding principle for 2011. I want to find it in myself and in others. Here's where you come in....
I want to feature 12+ BADASS! people on this blog this year and I'm seeking nominations. First qualification: you have to nominate YOURSELF. If you know a badass! who deserves to be featured, but isn't you, point them this direction and tell them to nominate themselves (and why you think they should - they may just return the favor). Tell me a story of how you exemplify one or all of the parts of Karen's definition and include a photo of yourself for me to post with your story. Nominations should be submitted by email to auntlyh (at) gmail (dot) com, with the subject line "I am a BADASS!". Submission implies permission for me to post your story and photo on this blog. Let me know if you have a blog/twitter/facebook page you would like me to link to and how you would like to be named here (full name, first only, first w/last initial, nickname, etc.). I am hoping to feature myself in my last post of 2011.
p.s. I find it very fitting that this post prominently features the authors of the two books I got late in the fall and have been meaning to review here. I'll try to get to the reviews soon, but here are links:
The Beauty of Different by Karen Walrond
Great Gals: Inspired Ideas for Living a Kick-Ass Life by Summer Pierre
No comments:
Post a Comment