Ten years ago today, my dad got up in the middle of the night and drove to meet me at the clinic for my Pump class. He arrived around 9:30 am, worried that he might be late for the 1 pm session. I found him in the waiting room at IDC that afternoon and we went in to learn the ins and outs and get me hooked up to my portable partial pancreas. The fights with my insurance company weren't over, but I'd made enough progress to be able to start on my choice, an Animas pump. With the new technology, I was nervous about living alone, unsure whether lows would hit faster or be more fierce. So, Dad came up and spent the week cooking for me, washing my dishes, and walking my dog. Diabetes didn't pull any big tricks on us and I could have managed it on my own, but I was happy to have him there to help me through the transition.
Ten years ago (well, in a month or so), I founded the Pancremaniacs to celebrate getting my pump.
A decade and a few miles of tubing later, I'm still using an Animas pump (though a much newer model) and I'm still captaining the Pancremaniacs. My posse of T3s has grown (take a look at that roster, which also includes 3 other Red Riders) as has my passion for biking. We haven't made it to a cure, but I am thriving with/in spite of type 1 diabetes because of my Dad and the rest of my support network. Thanks to you all.
3 comments:
Happy Anniversary! I always associate the pump with your visit to Sackets to meet Henry. Hard to believe that was a decade ago!
Wow, ten years!!! Good for you! Happy Pumpiversary!!!! I'm coming up on just three years on Thursday. :)
Auntie, I just saw Scott's post about the ride. Are you going to do it this year? If so, I'd also like to sponser you. Please email me: pinkladyslipper@gmail.com
Post a Comment