07 September 2011

Wright Stuff BADASSERY

Sunday was the culmination of my summer of training with Team WILD Cycle (2011).

I woke at 4:30 and had my breakfast according to plan, donned my WILD kit, loaded up the car, patted Becca on the head, hugged my parents, and drove toward my childhood home with a U2 workout playlist T3 gave me before he was T3 accompanying my drive.

sleepy, but ready to ride

I chuckled as I reached Mt. Horeb and the sign that read, "the best suburb in Dane County." In Minnesota Design Team, we often find towns struggling to hold onto their individuality, but this one celebrates its new-to-me suburban status.

I was early enough that I opted to drive by the the farmhouse where we lived 2nd through 8th grade. "Hallelujah, Here She Comes" started playing as I approached the farm. Trees obscured my view of the house, but I gave a shout to "Dog Hill," still clear to me as the day I named it, as my car rolled past. I choked up a bit, hit with the sense that this day would be a big one, whatever happened.

I pulled into the parking lot at Tyrol Basin as the song ended. I unloaded the car, prepped Madame Maxime, picked up my packet, chatted a little with the equally sleepy couple in the SUV next to me and kept my eye out for the WILD teammate with whom I hoped to at least start the ride.

I rolled out at about 7:35, hoping Sarah would catch me or I her. I never did see her. I ate and drank according to my plan and practice. I reveled in the cool morning sunshine and the beautiful countryside. I tried to watch my heartrate, not wanting to overdo it. Strong headwinds made a reasonable pace seem a struggle. And we hit the first big climb. I kept thinking it couldn't be that big of a hill, but it was tough. The guy from the SUV rode past me with a cheery, 'good morning, again! didn't we park by you?" I walked some of that hill. My knee was protesting already despite the rock tape and I was trying to save something for the next 90 miles or so. First water stop/BG test showed my blood sugar hovering around 200, higher than I like, even for a big ride. Instead of a correction bolus, I skipped fueling at this stop and planned to check again. The remainder of the ride to the first rest stop was beautiful and distracted me with lots of "oh! we're at ___!" moments, but the wind was not helping me out and I found myself considering taking the 60 mile route.

In line for the restrooms, I found myself behind the couple from the parking lot. We chatted a bit about the ride and how far to the next water/rest stops on the 60 mi route which they were riding. We made introductions (Yvonne and Bob are from Maplewood, MN and recommended Twin Cities Bike Club). They complimented my WILD orange nail polish and I mentioned how it was a team thing, but riding solo was a little lonely. We found ourselves picking up our bikes to ride on at the same time and Yvonne invited me to ride with them, if their pace worked for me. I said I'd try to keep up. Having company made a big difference. At the first short add on loop for the 100 mi route, I opted to stick with my new friends and said I'd make a final decision at the corner for the biggest added loop where my parents were planning to meet me.

 They were waiting
 and trying to find cell phone service
 cheering riders, all appearing to be challenged by the route
 Bob was happy to see them
 Yvonne and I weren't far behind
 approaching the clappers and cowbell

 greeted by Becca, the superdog

 testing
 resting
 hydrating from my TT1 bottle

And I decided: 60 would be it for me. My new friends didn't flinch at the blood sugar tests and seemed happy to ride with someone who had her own cheering section. I was grateful not to ride alone.

There was a point when I told Y& B they should feel free to leave me in the dust, but they assured me they had no where else to be and were having a good time. They never got too far ahead and resting at the top of a tough hill probably really didn't bother them. 

The last big climb took us up to Governor Dodge State Park in Blue Mounds. It looked like the top of the world.

looks totally different in the photo - it felt dangerous to step too far off the road

At one point on the huge decent I had to pedal to keep going, the wind had really kicked up and I was happy to be almost to the car.
 test and bolus for recovery chocolate milk - amazing how good that tastes

 Mari arms - Go WILD!!!

 Becca liked the sunny gravel and wondered what the big deal was

 I ate chips and reminded myself to seek Pancremaniac sponsorship from Old Dutch

I ate a delicious and generous post-ride meal while Becca imagined the same, from another rider

As laid out by my training buddies and travel companions, I had five goals for this event:
1. Have fun - CHECK
2. Don't hurt anyone, including self - CHECK (I'm a little sore, but I'm not injured and I didn't make my knee hurt so much I won't be able to ride in Italy next week.)
3. Finish the century - well, it became a metric, but I did finish 63.5 miles so we'll give it a half Check.
4. Finish in my time goal - moot point? 
5. Make a friend - DOUBLE CHECK! (and I started recruiting them for the Pancremaniacs.)

I know that I made good choices on the route. I worked hard, but not so hard that I can't or don't want to bike anymore. In fact, I want to do this again and conquer the "imperial" century version. I am confident that I could have ridden a flatter century on Sunday. These hills will require some additional and/or different training. I know that I want some in-person coaching (Camp WILD here I come!) and that I learned a lot this year to carry with me. Remember when I mentioned thinking this would be a big day for me? It was. I've been saying all summer that I am an athlete. On Sunday, I fully believed it. Today at work, upon hearing about my upcoming trip, someone asked, "are you a cyclist?" and I didn't even have to think before saying, "YES!"

I call it a success




3 comments:

Scully said...

Wow. I LOVED all the photos and you totally made the right decision. Better to finish with a smile on your face instead of beat and injured. Making and riding with friends is a huge difference.
You still represented the diabetes community for athletes! ATHLETES! you're a superstar!

Karen said...

You are such a Badass!!!!!! I am so so impressed by you! And I loved getting to see pictures of my little pal Becca too. My Dad was just telling my uncle about Becca yesterday. (Yup, Dad was really interested when I told her how amazing she was after FFL, and apparently Becca has made quite an impression on him!)

shannon said...

i love that you have a BADASSERY tag! i also love those irish GQ cover models! i'm interested in the rest of your U2 workout mix, if you're inclined to share it. thanks for all the pics and stories, you really painted a picture.

ROCK ON!!