I fell a little behind in my posting so this Sunday morning, I'm posting a combined Friday and Saturday post. (Diabetic) life does that to a person now and then.
First of all, the topics:
Click for the Diabetes Life Hacks - Friday 5/16 Link List.
Share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes. Tell us everything from clothing modifications, serving size/carb counting tricks to the tried and true Dexcom-in-a-glass trick or the “secret” to turning on a Medtronic pump’s backlight when not on the home-screen (scroll to the bottom of this post). Please remember to give non-medical advice only! (Thank you Rachel of Probably Rachel and Kelley of Below Seven for this topic suggestion.)
Click for the Saturday Snapshots - Saturday 5/17 Link List.
Back for another year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like! With a nod to the Diabetes 365 project, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures. Post as many or as few as you’d like. Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves.
Share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes. Tell us everything from clothing modifications, serving size/carb counting tricks to the tried and true Dexcom-in-a-glass trick or the “secret” to turning on a Medtronic pump’s backlight when not on the home-screen (scroll to the bottom of this post). Please remember to give non-medical advice only! (Thank you Rachel of Probably Rachel and Kelley of Below Seven for this topic suggestion.)
Click for the Saturday Snapshots - Saturday 5/17 Link List.
Back for another year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like! With a nod to the Diabetes 365 project, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures. Post as many or as few as you’d like. Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves.
Time to charge the D devices. Pump could use it, too, but I have a hard time sitting still for that.
My diabetes life hacks seem to center around biking. First up: how to keep my CGM receiver handy. (note: in all these photos, my CGM is in a Tallygear case which makes it easier for you to see. Two layers of vinyl makes the screen hard to read in sunlight so I typically don't use the case when I ride.)
On my road bike, I use a Banjo Brothers bento/top tube bag that I've modified with some wide elastic to hold my CGM flat against the vinyl top.
Inside, I have a tin of Wildberry Glucolift tabs (thank you T:Slim!) and my meter, strips, and lancing device (in a zip lock just in case it rains):
On my hybrid, the cables run above the top tube making that hack not ideal. So, I found this great handmade (from a bike inner tube) phone case That mounts to my handle bar mount (insert technical term I don't know here), same contents except the glucose tabs end up in my jersey pocket because this pouch is thinner.
My heaviest hack is how to bring Becca, the super diabetes assist dog with me when I ride. For that, I use a Croozer Dog trailer, with its own Pancremaniac flag.
This is a really good trailer; I just want to get her to the front someday in one of these.
We rode about 25 miles on Saturday. After 11 on Friday (5.5 each way to and from work), I was wiped out. I will not be riding (or at least not pulling Becca) the day before the Tour de Cure.





No comments:
Post a Comment