
It's Diabetes Blog Week and I'm jumping right in. Today's topic is: "Change the World" Let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by talking about the diabetes causes and issues that really get us fired up. Are you passionate about 504 plans and school safety? Do diabetes misconceptions irk you? Do you fight for CGM coverage for Medicare patients, SDP funding, or test strip accuracy? Do you work hard at creating diabetes connections and bringing support? Whether or not you “formally” advocate for any cause, share the issues that are important to you. (Thanks go out to Kim of Texting my Pancreas for inspiring this topic.)
There are many diabetes issues that get me fired up. The disrespect I sometimes see from T1s toward T2s and vice versa makes me grind my teeth (and block followers on Twitter). The disparities in access to tools and medications, domestically and internationally makes me want to cry. I am a little embarrassed to admit, though, that these topics leave me more paralyzed than motivated to make change. I will retweet and share posts and Spare a (dozen) Rose(s), but I don't find my self taking charge in these areas.
Where I throw my greatest effort is the American Diabetes Associations' Tour de Cure. I don't know if it is the most cost-effective, world-changing place to put my energy, but I am counting on the concept of acting locally in that respect.
When I started my team, The Pancremaniacs, in 2001, it was to celebrate (?) getting my first insulin pump. And, in retrospect, it marked the start of my being much more open about my life with diabetes. We reformed in 2009 because a few friends expressed their love and support by letting me know they'd ride again (despite the fairly terrible event eight years prior).
In the past five years, our team has grown to be a minor force in the Twin Cities Tour de Cure. But more important to me than the money we raise is the difference we make. I know that when prioritize the athlete part of me, I am healthier all around: diabetes is a little easier to manage, my general health is better, and my mood improves. Riding with friends (with and without diabetes) adds an element of fun to the effort. I believe these things are true for my teammates as well. Having people who 'get it' surrounding you makes a big difference. And even though we have more T3s (supporters) on our team than people living with diabetes, d-self-care rules on all our rides. To have diabetes be normal even in the minority can make all the difference in helping me (us) keep going when it's not. I guess that is why I ride.
p.s. I was about to launch into a metaphor about drafting in the slipstream and taking turns pulling, but that doesn't go so well with the determined pancreas riding its bike up a hill.


4 comments:
I love the name Pancremaniacs-so creative! I was hoping to do the ADA Tour de Cure this year but I'm not able to make it happen, hopefully next year!
I love that we all have our "thing" that we do. Keep doing it. :)
Pancreamaniacs!
Best Graphic Ever!
Post a Comment