05 September 2006

Crafty almost-hit

A few weeks ago, I took another class at Crafty Planet. This one was "Sew a Needle Roll." I don't use straight needles at all anymore, but my double-point needles are (were) a mess. See?
Even the packages I managed to hold onto couldn't hold onto the sets of needles. So, every time I go to knit baby booties or a fruit hat, I have to stick needle after needle through my needle gauge until I come up with five of the size I need. This usually means checking at least 20 needles. I've tried to keep them sorted by wrapping sets with twist ties. They fall off. So, when I saw that Trish would be teaching me how to sew my own needle roll in one short session, I signed up. I bought fabric, starting with a bolt I fell in love with a couple years ago, but had no idea what to use it for. See?

There's one thing I'm really disappointed about. We made the roll shorter because I don't have straight needles. It turns out I have a lot more long dpn's than I thought. I don't like the long ones, except maybe my 6's because I make hats on them. Most things I use dpn's for, I'd rather have shorter ones. Those would fit beautifully in my roll. But, they're harder to find. So, I've got this awesome needle roll that doesn't fold quite right. But, it works ok. See?