22 April 2007

Mid-term melancholy

We're a bit past half-way through our European adventure and I find myself a little blue. This is, of course, ridiculous. The weather is perfect, my time is my own (and ElectricYoak's). It's time to snap out of it.

So, Inner Critic, you hear that? It's time to get out of my head! See, a big part of my funk is due to my failure to come anywhere close to my goal of drawing every day of my "sabbatical." I made 14 journals (10 of which are still in WI). I have filled one. I have collected ephemera to collage maybe 1/4 of another and I sketched a couple of things in another book that I can glue in it, but I haven't put pen to paper since London. Worse than that, I let myself feel guilty which keeps me from just diving back in. After all, I can't get the last few weeks back. I just need to start where I am. Starting. Why is that so hard? I'm thinking today needs to involve a trip to the zoo. Zoos are good places for getting me to draw.

I am also a bit frustrated because I've hit a point where I really want to learn some new things, but I don't have the resources at hand. I listened to Cast On episode 47 and now I want to try a bit of crochet (so I can make cardigans with button bands I don't hate). I'd like to learn InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, but I only have a book re: InDesign and it's with the 10 journals in WI, with no reason to be mailed here. I want to try to make Elizabeth Zimmerman's magic baby jacket, but my EZ books are in MN (where they should be; there is a tough suitcase weight limit). The list goes on - I've got all the time, but none of the stuff. Even the internet can't answer all my questions. I start German lessons May 7, though. That should help. 3 hours/day, 4days/week ought to keep my brain busy.

Re: "stuff" desired above. This brings some conflict to my mind. Why does what I want to do require Stuff? Rob gave me a copy of Living the Good Life that Anna redesigned. I devoured it. It made me want to make do with less stuff, much less TV (none would be ok), no car, etc. It helped that Linda (the author) loves/needs books like I do. She switched to using the library. Great plan, but I haven't found a public library here and I don't know how much they'd have in English if I found one. A mission for the coming weeks?

I'm ready to rant about self-striping yarn, but I'll save that for a day when I also have photos to distract you.

p.s. In London, a woman's purse caught my eye. It was made by Oilily. I've determined that I should not buy anymore bags because they're never quite right. I'm going to make all (ok, most) future purses, but this one was beautiful. You can see a bunch at the website under "gifts & fragrances." I don't think I can make my own umbrellas.....

1 comment:

Em said...

1. Does the making of the journals count for anything? Why do they have to be filled on this exact trip?

2. You seem from the other posts like your time has been very, very full. I think adding the extra "work" to your vacation might not be quite fair to you.

3. As for the stuff. Oilily rocks and I think even sometimes when you make stuff, or rather when I make stuff it still doesn't turn out quite right. Sure we don't want to be dominated by our stuff, and we both know that public libraries RULE but you are not in a place right now where you are dominated by typical rules. So you should relax and enjoy that. You may never have it again. And for the love of all that is holy buy a purse once in awhile too.

Stepping down off of the soap box now...