09 September 2007

finishing stuff

I'm really excited about finishing things lately. I have been pretty good about not starting too many things. I like to have a "requires much concentration" project, a "while watching TV or a movie" project, and a "bus knitting" project on the needles, but one of each is good.

Last week, I finished two things.

The Mystery Stole 3 is done. Did I tell you the theme is Swan Lake?

the start, blocked for length (I think it would have benefited more from being stretched for width)

And the finish - a wing. I'm still not sure if I should have pulled the solid parts to points instead of the holey parts.

I have one regret. I wish I had added length before the wing. But, I wore it last night (with jeans and a long-sleeved white stretch v-neck t-shirt) and it didn't feel too much too short. I'm really happy I chose the silver-lined clear beads. You lose the beads (especially in the photos) as it is. If I'd gone with the subtler dark beads, I think I would have lost all the sparkle.

I also finished my first pair of Jaywalkers. I used my July Ruby Sapphire sock club yarn and am really happy with them. They shout a little louder than I'm used to hearing from my feet, but sometimes that's alright.

I don't generally go for self-striping yarn, but these are fun - and look how well the stripes line up!


And now, Culture Alert: Last night we went to a one-man play by our friend, David Harris, called The Delivery Guy. It's really fun. If you have an hour the next couple of Friday or Saturday nights (and are near St. Paul, MN), head over to Dreamland Arts.

At the theater, we ran into some friends and I chatted with a guy who is half-way through his second sock on dpn's. Sadly, he didn't have them along to show off. No comments on the stole, but I liked wearing it.


8 comments:

Peachy said...

The Stole really came out gorgeous! I'm still in the cat paws part, and soo lagging behind - but seeing your finished masterpiece gives me strength to go on further :)

And the socks are great!

bockstark.knits said...

totally and completely IN AWE! great job on both projects!!!

PlazaJen said...

Oh, your MS3 looks great! I blocked mine the same way - that's where the natural "points" seemed to come off the needles. I need to get mine photographed "in full" - and I, too, wish I'd lengthened it, but on the other hand, another stretch of cat's paw & I would've been flipping out.
Love your jaywalkers - I need to make a pair of those, but the monkeys keep calling their siren song.... goodness knows I have plenty of yarn. :)

peaknits said...

OMG - the stole is beautiful - I regret that I pooped out after my back went out - because it could have been this!:) BUT I did cast on the candle flame - I love the wollmeise laceweight - thank you! And what great jaywalkers - I love them and they are identical twins! Great job!

Em said...

The stole is beautiful. Swan Lake. Now I see why it had to be white or black.

Cynthia Allison said...

Heather, I cannot believe the work in your Swan Lake stole. It is just gorgeous. Look out for your package from me. I'm putting it in the mail this very day.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Awesome stuff, H!

Elemmaciltur said...

For some reasons, I didn't have you on Bloglines...but I just added you. :-)

BTW, great FOs!!!