26 September 2007

Happy Anniversary +1 day

Yesterday was our 3rd anniversary. The wedding seems like it was yesterday, but as Mom said last weekend, it seems like we've been married forever (in a good way). So, today I thought I'd give you the story of how we met. If you were there in '04, you read this in the program. If you've met me since then, here you go.....

Note: the photos in this post were taken by the oh-so-talented David Kern. Don't even think about stealing them. Thank you.

ElectricYoak and Auntly H Meet
-and abbreviated tale-

Em: "Does he like dogs? Auntly H has a dog."
Lumpyhead's Mom (LHM): "E'Yoak likes big dogs. She doesn't have a yippy little thing she carries in her purse, does she?"
Em: "Auntly H has a big dog named Loyd."

Unbeknownst to E'Yoak and Auntly H, thus began their fine romance.

Em was best of friends with Auntly H when they were six. Their friendship was renewed during college, despite years with no knowledge of each other's location and miles between them. Em's mother, the postal service, and email helped them reclaim their true friendship.

LHM was friends with E'Yoak from their days working together for then-Congressman David Minge (the honorable judge who presided over a wonderful ceremony 3 yrs ago) in Washington, DC. The friendship of two small-town kids solidified in the big city.

Em and LHM were sorority sisters at Yale. Other than a brief introduction of Auntly H and LHM at Em's wedding ten years ago, each had no first-hand knowledge of the other's dear friend. However, they both have reputations of being excellent judges of character.

So, shortly after E'Yoak moved to St. Paul in 2002, these two decided that he should meet Auntly H. He'd make a new friend after several years in DC and Auntly H could add a friend to her circle from which many had moved across the Atlantic. Of course, there was "no pressure."

E'Yoak and Auntly H spent that sumer and fall exploring cultural events and restaurants in the Twin Cities, enjoying his cooking and her home-made cinnamon ice cream. Somewhere along the way, they fell in love. It might have been the ice cream, but it never would have happened without the intervention of some really terrific friends, including a dog named Loyd.


Thanks for being such a great family, my dears. Here's to many, many more together!

4 comments:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Happy Anniversary.

I was going to add a limerick from your wedding day, but I realized mine was based on your real names.

Hey! I just went to the photographers website! That's Josh and Katie in the middle of Portfolio 1. (I'm still bummed I missed that wedding. Damn childbirth recovery. Grumble grumble.)

And look! There's you in Portfolio 2, and that's my hand (and maybe Rob's?) in the picture! I'm famous! Or something.

And is that Luke and Issac, the next picture over?

Elemmaciltur said...

Awwww....happy anniversary!

Em said...

Josh and Katie got married? I don't think I knew that...

Anyway, it's great to see these photos and know it was the beginning of something even better.

peaknits said...

What beautiful pictures for a beautiful story - congrats. My husband and I celebrate 13 years on Monday:) And only a special dog makes the wedding pictures - he's a sweetheart!