A is for A-line
You thought I was going to write about Architecture, didn't you? Hah! That's my day job. You don't want to read about that.
For three Saturdays in August, I spent several hours in the Crafty Planet classroom making Amy Butler's Barcelona skirt. I opted for the simple A-line version, but added difficulty by altering the pattern so it really fits me. That alteration thing? I did NOT do that all on my own. Lisa was a fantastic teacher who helped me a ton. I learned some new things, including that you can make alterations without ripping every seam and line of topstitching out of your completed skirt.
I already have plans to make a heavier twill fall skirt with this new fit to my (current) hips pattern. I need to knock a few more projects off the list first, though.
B is for Busing
Yesterday, I received my second paycheck since returning to work so today you get two letters to get us on track.
I am 20 for 20. I have used the bus to commute to work every day since I've been back and it's great. I get knitting time (which often means I get the seat to myself - people don't know how much control I have over my US size 0 dpns) and no stress about traffic. I don't have to pay outrageous sums for parking (the cheap lot near our office was closed for Twins Stadium construction while we were out of the country). And now I have the cool proximity fare card which I find easier to keep track of and it doesn't bend or get wet and quit working like the old stored value cards with magnetic stripe.
I am thrilled to be able to use mass transit for my commute. I know the service in our cities is not top-notch and there are a lot of locations and lifestyles that make mass transit difficult if not impossible. It's blessedly easy for me. I would like to bike, too, but I'm in lousy shape, afraid of trucks and am certain my colleagues' olfactory senses would be offended if I rode to work. Plus, I can't knit while biking. So, I'll stick with the bus for work and save the bike for errands closer to home on the weekends (I have actually enjoyed this lately, too bad winter will follow so closely on fall's heels).
I'm tempted to sell my car. No need to let the ownership of one let the bosses insist I drive my own vehicle to meetings, right? But, I might run this test through winter before I get rid of it entirely. We'll see....


7 comments:
Your skirt is gorgeous!! It looks like it hangs really nicely and I adore the fabrics you chose. Nice job!
The skirt is beautiful! The barcelona is on my list next - well, my sewing list that is. I think it is wonderful that you can bus to work - sure wish I could, I mean knitting time? win-win:)
Glad to hear the bus is working out well. I hate that we have to drive everywhere here.
And the skirt is totally cute. I hope you do make another for winter. Be sure and post the pics if you do.
It's beautiful! (Too bad you can't sew on the bus.)
The skirt is gorgeous!
You're a winner of my little stitch marker contest. Please send me your address and I'll send them right out
williams (dot) juli (at) gmail (dot) com
Thant skirt really turned out great!
Sorry for being so uncommentative for so long, but my feedreader "neglected" your blog for a time, the last entry I read was about the MS3 tour de france knitting. Some time ago, but at least lots of stuff to catch on about :)
Knitterly greetings from a rainy Vienna!
Hellow fellow Ravenclaw! How is it that I've lived in Bloomington for 40 years and I've never heard of Crafty Planet? I must check it out! There are some great classes offered. But...getting there from here might be a wee bit challenging after the bridge collapse. Can't let that stop me!
Post a Comment