01 September 2010

Happy Diabetes Art Day!

Don't feel bad if you haven't heard about this holiday of sorts; it's a brand new one. The ever-inspiring Lee Ann Thill of The Butter Compartment and Drawabetes fame has declared September 1st to be Diabetes Art Day. Check out those links to learn more about art therapy, especially as it relates to the bigD.

A couple of weeks ago, Lee Ann was giving away the book No Sugar Added: A Diabetes Poetry Book to a randomly selected submitter of diabetes art. I didn't win, but I did submit a sculpture. I had hoped to make a new piece for d.A.d. and even have an idea floating around in my head that I need to put on paper, but I failed to make time in August to plop myself in front of my drawing table, gag and blindfold my inner critic, and get some art made. So, I'm giving you a piece that feels to me like a mock-up for something more ______. Even so, making it did the job of getting my brain out of its self-flagellating loops, at least for a bit.


Tipping the bigD Tightrope
another little nod to Janelle Monae
made of pump and CGM detritus, except for the poles, (sadly necessary) suspension wire and base + hot glue (hello, flashbacks to architecture school)

2 comments:

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Very nice job! I love all the different mediums people used for their art, including yours of course!

Lee Ann Thill said...

I'm glad you had the perfect opportunity and excuse to share this on your blog! I think it's great as is, but would definitely love to see the next interpretation of it if you ever get time to make it. I think the tightrope metaphor is a pretty universal one amongst us pancreatically challenged, and I loved seeing your sculptural take on it. very nice, indeed!

Thank you so much for adding it to Diabetes Art Day! I couldn't have been happier about the participation, and appreciate that you joined to make the day so great :)