05 September 2010

On the road (an update)

Since you were patient enough to read my decision-making angst and offer me good advice, I thought I should let you know I made my choice (and how I did it).

I spent this morning on the couch, watching the Vuelta, knitting, and turning this decision over in my head. I'll spare you the play-by-play and let you jump to where my brain settled on this decision.

First of all, I debated going to more stores, trying more bikes. Ultimately, I realized that shopping was moving from fun and informative to a dreaded chore. I didn't really want to analyze any more bikes and sometimes more options is just confusing (think about the toothpaste shelves at your favorite store).

Ok, so we're down to the Giant and the Bianchi. The Giant is the one that was really stuck in my head and I realized something. During the test rides, the Bianchi felt like I got a chance to ride a taller friend's really nice bike and it made me understand why I would want a really nice bike; the Giant felt like I was riding my really nice bike. My concerns about the components were based on one friend's comment to me so I did some research. Tiagra is rated "enthusiast" which is where I'd put myself. And I'm almost positive that's the line on my mtn/hybrid bike. It's been a fine set for me. As for cost, it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but not a lot and the bikes I tested and some online searches convinced me that this bike is a good value. If you disagree, I don't want to hear about it now.

Not critical, but also in the positive column for this purchase: I own and love one Giant, seems likely I'll be happy with another one; Tour de Cure bonding with the staff yesterday; a lot of women work at the Hub (again, not a tipping point, but makes me feel good to support that shop/coop).

Here she is:
Giant on a MINI

I'm thinking about names. Currently in the running:
1. Geneviève (because of the song I Like Giants by Kimya Dawson)
2. Madame Maxime (Harry Potter reference - where else to find good giants?) - sure to be shortened...
3. ??? any ideas?

I took her out for about 11 miles after we got home, a familiar short ride. She's fast and comfortable, stable and responsive. Something in the drive train started clicking halfway through; I need to try to sort that out before we do 40 miles tomorrow, but I'm hoping it's just new parts stretching into position. I have no doubts she's a great bike. I'm not sure I'm worthy of her, but I think she'll inspire me to grow as a cyclist and that seems to be exactly what I needed.

2 comments:

Emsmom said...

Congrats! Hope you enjoy many hours riding your Giant. I just got a cruiser bike for casual riding and love it. And how did I not remember you have a mini? I need a bike rack for mine--how do you like the one you have?

Michael said...

---Quaking in terror of H leading the 40 ......