Bike shopping is not an easy task. I went to three stores (six locations) and rode seven bikes today. Some have easily been dropped low on the list. Another I am letting go of reluctantly and the one I think is THE one, I still have questions about. I'm about to spend a lot of money on two wheels, a frame and a bunch of components. I want to be absolutely, positively sure I'm making a good choice. How does one select the bike equivalent of a soul mate in an afternoon?
Before I discuss the bikes (because I've apparently decided to use this blog and you, my loyal readers as my decision-making analysis tool), I want to insert a note about the shops. They are all a little different, but I had a good experience at every one of them. Yes, one stood out as better for me because a personal connection over the Tour de Cure (and Juicy Juice) was made as soon as I entered the store wearing my t-shirt from this year's ride. The front-runner bike is from that shop, but I'm trying to separate the bike selection from the Tour bonding. I'm going to include shop info in my bike assessment because it might help someone going through a similar process. Just remember: all good shops, all nice folks helped me. I don't think you'll really go wrong with these. The omission of other shops in town is mostly due to the fact that I didn't have the energy to try more today.
So, my afternoon...
Freewheel on the Greenway. I went there because I thought the Greenway would be a fabulous place to test ride a bike. Sadly, they only rent bikes there, no stock for sale. I bought a very tasty sandwich and headed to their main location. I rode two Treks there: a women's 1.5 and a men's 2.5. In retrospect, I think I did feel the difference in frame, but attributed it to something else. I probably should have demanded a trial of the women's 2.5, but I was feeling sort of "meh" about them and decided to move on. I figured if I didn't find my bike elsewhere, I'd return tomorrow and try the women's 1.5 and 2.5.
The Hub Bike Co-op. I started at the South location, in my old Minneapolis 'hood. I tried a Giant Avail 3 (women specific design). It was ok. I rode a men's Bianchi ViaNirone 7 in candy apple red (aluminum frame, carbon fork, seat post and rear wheel pivot something-something). I loved it. I immediately understood what 'they' say about knowing when you get on a great bike. I still have a serious crush on this bike, but I have to admit that it was long for me. I felt a little too stretched out as I cruised along my old Loyd-walking routes. I kept thinking we could slide the seat forward and maybe replace the handlebar stem with a shorter one. But, really, would that make it the right bike for me? And that's the smallest one left in stock, on sale (making it at all feasible). The kind folks at South, sent me up to the West Bank location - the two locations stock different brands and different models; no, I don't know why.
This is where my Tour de Cure t-shirt was noted, my participation confirmed and then "are you type 1? [she saw Gromit and Shaun] Of course you are! How do you like that CGM? My partner is Type 1, but I do my own research...." They didn't have a lot in stock that would fit me, but she pulled out a couple of bikes for me to try. She put me on the better option first: a Giant Avail Advanced 3 (all carbon composite frame). I rode it. I came back and we discussed a bit and talked about how great Juicy Juice is and that they really ought to sponsor the Tour de Cure (food committee is working on it apparently). I went out for another ride. I carried the bike up the steps toward the Washington Ave bridge with no effort. Light is an understatement. I rode it more. Fast. Slowish. I debated. It fit me really well. I truly didn't love it any less than the Bianchi; I think it suffers from the fact that it was the bike I rode immediately after my bad-boy-crush bike (and response to photos of the Bianchi on facebook is universally swoon-y). I just realized I never even tried that other, second choice bike.
I decided to try Erik's next since they have a big sale going on right now. I couldn't find the Dinkytown location (too many students moving in got me confused) so headed to Bloomington. The store was quiet, the staff measured me and let the computer select sizes and adjustments. I tried a 2011 Specialized Dolce (aluminum frame, carbon fork) with SHRAM components (I was warned it would feel like a dump truck clunking into gear compared to the Shimanos I'd been testing) and a 2011 Specialized Ruby (all carbon, Shimano components). If I went with the Ruby, I'd get the 2010 model on sale, but it would still be a couple hundred more than the Giant and beyond my initial price range. This test ride was really good because I got the aluminum vs. carbon back-to-back comparison. I now understand the love of carbon. But, I liked how the Giant felt better than either Specialized.
I learned today that I really am ready for a road bike. They feel VERY different than my tank, but not at all scary, even when I had to deal with not-so-good road conditions. They were responsive, light, fast, fun. I learned that while I dressed to be able to move, after eight test rides of seven bikes you'll wish you'd worn bike shorts.
The top four bikes, now with photos:
1. Giant Avail Advanced 3
+best fit (like a glove)+light as a feather
+feels great to ride
-pushing the upper limit of my price range
2. Bianchi ViaNarone 7 Coast to Coast
+made me grin and understand loving a bike at first pedal (despite imperfect fit)+Shimano 105 components
-stretches me out
3. Specialized Ruby
+Shimano Ultegra (though I'm not sure what's on the 2010 version)+I like carbon now...
-price
-didn't fit as well as Giant
4. Specialized Dolce
+great name+good bike, decent price
-not in love with Shram components
-doesn't make my heart race.
Really, I've narrowed it to the top two and #2 would be silly since it doesn't fit right. So I guess the question is whether I buy the Giant tomorrow or shop at some more stores and try some other bikes. We'll see what the dreams say tonight.
3 comments:
A new bike - HOW EXCITING!!! Can you buy bike #1 as it is now and change components later?
I understand the big decision after seeing what "nice" bikes cost. They're no $120-Target-bike-that-I-won't-care-if-I-break-or-decide-to-replace-in-a-year. Plus, I ride just for fun and the novelty of being able to ride to the farmers market or grocery and bring back things.
My vote is to buy the Giant today and have fun riding it for the rest of the long weekend.
Dude - the ALL looks sweet. I have to admit that I'm scared to ride with you after you upgrade your bike. I won't be able to keep up with you! :-)
See you tomorrow for the ride!
Post a Comment