13 May 2011

D-Blog Week, Part 4 - 10 Things I Hate about Diabetes

DBlogWeek2011Banner

In no particular order (and not a complete list):


1.     I hate when my BG rises after a correction bolus instead of getting back between the lines.
2.     I hate when I realize I’m shaking not because I feel the low, but because I’m so afraid of the number that just flashed on my meter.
3.     I hate having the fingertips of a stonemason.
4.     I hate that diabetes likes to partner with depression, celiac, a bunch of 'opathies'…. and gang up on people I care about. One to one is bad enough, don’t bring your bullying buddies.
5.     I hate the middle of the night lows that make unable to stop tears from dripping off my face.
6.     I hate sitting on the kitchen floor sucking down juice boxes in the dark.
7.     I hate that paying so much attention every minute isn’t enough; I’m also supposed to analyze the tables and graphs and make changes based on the past. If diabetes would ever repeat itself predictably, that might feel worth doing.
8.     I hate that I’ve created a D-supplies spreadsheet to assist T3 pack for me if he wants to take me on a spontaneous get-away. I love that he asked for the information. I hate that even if he used it, I’d have to triple check everything. There’s no vacation from diabetes, even if someone wants to take the burden from you for a few hours.
9.     I hate that diabetes doesn’t leave kids alone and sometimes takes them away.
10. I hate how much diabetes impacts all my life choices (and that I let it).

2 comments:

colleen said...

Yup, hate 'em all. Good list, even though it hurts to read it.

Molly said...

Amen! I hate #1 in particular.