29 October 2006

state of my little corner of the world

The political ads are piling up. And they're getting mean. I even heard an ad this weekend for someone I'd probably vote for if I lived in his district, but it was by a group that generally makes me very, very angry and frustrated. I don't really want to rant about that, though. I don't need the rise in blood pressure tonight.

I'd rather tell you about the things this weekend that gave me hope. Thursday, I left work early to participate in a Minnesota Design Team visit to Maple Plain, MN. MDT visits are a lot of fun. They are also a lot of work. I lounged in bed until noon today (which should have felt like 1 pm, but I'm in denial about that) to recover. But, I also felt really good about a weekend of hard work for a community that needed a group of multi-disciplinary professionals to give them some design-based, grassroots ideas to help their town stay (become?) a vital, vibrant community. We had new leaders who did a great job and a nice mix of experienced and new team members. I think MDT is getting some great new energy.

We also had three students from the"Zoo School" in our group this weekend. Last fall, seven girls from that school joined us in St. Charles. I got home feeling like the world might just survive with people like them looking out for it. Working with this year's students gave me a similar sense of hope. And if they don't take over and make the world a better place, I am positive that P.L. will go on to make wonderful movies. Maybe he'll hire me to knit costumes for his productions....

2 comments:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Nothing like smart, creative young people to counteract the effect of politics.

I would insert a Mark Foley joke here, but I think that would ruin the mood.

Em said...

Go MDT! Go Zoo School! Go Auntly H!

I have been contemplating a post pleading with my local readers (3 or 4 people, prob all Republicans, I try not to ask?) not to vote for Tom Reynolds. He was leading in the last poll! So depressing.