28 February 2007

Knitting like a fiend

This whole sabbatical thing has revealed to me that I am a very fast knitter. I hadn't realized it only being allowed a 1/2 hour or so of bus ride knitting 3-5 days/week and the occasional hour or two in the evening. My only really regular knitting occurred Wednesday evenings for 1.5 hours, but that wasn't continuous either as I often set down my own work to help one of my "students."

Well, I cast on a baby blanket at the airport waiting for our flight from Chicago to London and cast it off a week later. It took a while for me to find pins here so I could (sort of) block it before sending it home to a friend whose baby is due March 12. Here it is pinned to a towel on our dining table.

I think the recipient may have to block it again....

Immediately after finishing the blanket, I started the infamous Rogue hooded pullover. Last night, I cast off the last of the knitting (that's one week of knitting, not continuously, mind you, there have been museums to visit and cafes to haunt). I'd been holding my breath while knitting the sleeve caps because I realized I bought enough yards for the number of METERS of yarn called for by the pattern. I think that skipping the kangaroo pocket saved me. I should even have enough to sew up the seams after I block it. It needs some aggressive blocking so I think I'll be taping the towel to the table. And I'll be holding my breath that it doesn't turn out to be too form-fitting. I didn't want a big, baggy thing, but I'm a little afraid I picked one size too small. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry it's been so long since posting. We just got the internet connected in our apartment. Perhaps I've discovered the key to finding knitting time....

2 comments:

Em said...

Hurrah! So glad to have you back even though you just arrived there! Yay. But aren't we supposed to be seeing Vienna? Guess I better go read the other blog for that one, eh?

flanthrower said...

You know, I started the rogue hoodie a while back but for some reason all my cables kept coming out weird. It's strange because I normally don't have any problems with cables.