
These are the Baby Cable Rib socks from Charlene Schurch's
Sensational Knitted Socks in the yarn I bought at the tiny shop near the Rathaus in Vienna. It's very subtly self striping, a wool and polymide blend which is nothing spectacular while knitting (none of Socks That Rocks' sproinginess), but feels good on the foot in my Dansko clogs. I knit the pair in 4-5 days. Not bad. Size 0 needles slowed me down a little. A few notes: the light bits you see are not my skin showing through yarn-overs, they're the light flecks in the yarn. I found the ends of my kitchnering to stick out. I think perhaps for my foot, it would be better to knit a couple more rows of foot and decrease to more stitches than 12 before grafting. More experimenting necessary; feel free to send sock yarn.
I seem to have almost 1/2 the skein of yarn left, but since our kitchen scale doesn't seem to work at all, I hesitate to cast on another pair with this.
No luck finding cheap (or expensive) 2.25mm, 60cm long Addi Turbos yet. I need two to make
Two Thumbs Up, which I won from
Kristi. Granted, I could just use DPN's, but she wrote the pattern for 2 circ's and I really want to give it a go. I should probably verify that 2.25mm needles will give me gauge on the Cherry Tree Hill Supersock I have for the project before I invest in needles, even if they are much cheaper here.... I just heard Addi has new circ's for lace, though, which may make my quest harder. If I'm buying new Turbos, I want to try the pointy ones!
4 comments:
Sweet! Are those for you? I like your Viennese floors too.
The color is nice. But the knitting jargon passed me by at polymide.
Well, people around here don't KNOW hat x.25 or x.75 mm needles exist! At least usually, and I've heard funny stories about yarn shop owners telling their customers that they are nuts to believe such needles would exist. You'll only get lucky with 2 or 2.5 mm, I'm afraid. I can't even lend you some 2.25, because the last time I was in London (and stocked up my lace knitting needles in the smaller size increments) I wasn't yet knitting socks and have forgone the dpns. Hope you'll get the socks knit with those needles available, too!
Gorgeous! Can I come join you in Vienna? I would love to have way too much knitting time on my hands right at the moment!
Post a Comment