06 December 2007

How soon is too soon?

I really miss having a dog. I know it's freakin' cold out and walking at 6 am could hurt, but isn't that what Sorrel boots are for? I've started looking at Petfinder (is it torture when you do it to yourself?). I am, for obvious reasons, drawn to all the black lab mixes. But, then I think we should try another sort - so similarities won't trigger unfair comparisons. Today I emailed a link to E'Yoak - a female Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who's about 1 1/2 years old. Loyd picked me at the humane society, so it feels weird to be looking for a canine match online, but.... E'Yoak's reply: "do you want this dog?" I suspect if I had typed back a simple "yes" he would have found a way to get to that shelter ASAP - end of semester assignments and paper grading be damned!

But, I really really miss Loyd. I'm not sure whether it's the right time to bring another dog into our house. I don't know if it's fair to any of us. I don't know if I'm ready. How will I know? Will it be when I can type this sort of post without the tear faucet turning on full blast (not yet)?

6 comments:

Em said...

When my mom lost her cat, our dear departed Jezzie, she started researching Ragdoll kittens almost immediately.

It is probably so different for everyone, and maybe you aren't ready yet. Unless E'Yoak's decides to put you into the car under some kind of ruse where you end up going to meet a dog that makes your heart melt, it sounds like you need more time.

Elemmaciltur said...

If you're a dog person, it's never too soon to get a new dog. It's not like you're just going to forget your old dog. :-)

Lumpyheadsmom said...

I'm gonna say you're ready for a new dog when you're ready for a new dog, not looking to replace what you've lost.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you are ready to bring another dog into your home to love and spoil and take for walks etc. Loyd would approve, he was a love and would like to see that another dog gets the chance he had!
btw after I lost my beloved cat it took only a few weeks of coming home to an "empty" home to convince me that it was time, time to find another furry family member.
Wish you all the best in finding the right one :=))
Ingrid

peaknits said...

I also surfed Petfinder with avengence looking for "that" dog!:) And watched the Animal Channel - all of those pet 911 shows had me in tears - a good wallow. I think you are ready when you are ready - you will never love a dog the same. I thought I would never be able to love a dog like my dear Chow "Fozzy" but then petfinder led me to a golden retriever-chow mix and he has been a perfect fit for our family, in a really different way then Foz was (I called Fozzy "Foppers" hence the silly e-mail address:) - not better - just different:) Good luck!

renee said...

I think it really is different for everyone. I think some people want and need a new dog right away. Others need some time to grieve for the old one. I wouldn't feel bad if you choose either way. I've been going through this myself - I lost both of my dogs about a year apart and I just needed a little bit of time alone before I got a new one. When I lost my last one, I also spent hours on line looking at dogs and thinking about what kind of dog I wanted to get next time. I think somehow that was helpful and comforting, even though I didn't get any one of them. Now I'm going to wait until spring. I did housebreaking in the middle of winter before and it was so miserable.