I've been tagged by Elem for a book meme. I (think I) posted a while back how I used to be a reader. I still don't read nearly as much as I used to and I really wish I could figure out how to read and knit at the same time. Until I learn to love garter stitch garments, I don't think that will happen. But, I AM reading a book right now so here goes on the meme:
You have to open the book you’re currently reading on page 161 and read the fifth sentence on the page, then think of 5 bloggers to tag with…
Book I'm reading: The Canon: A Whirligig tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier
Quote: "When we think of the dismal history of DDT, we think of springs silenced of birdsong and skies brushed free of bald eagles."
Comment: I'm currently on page 33 - in the Thinking Scientifically chapter. It's going to be a while before I get to Evolutionary Biology. I really don't want to start my adult life over and become a scientist (especially given the idea that by this age, my brain structure is pretty well set), but this book is reminding me how much I love science. It also makes me appreciate my HS Chemistry teacher's refrain, "it's just a story," though I still believe he could have expanded on the idea so I would latch onto it instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to get my dad to let me drop the class. (see p. 19 of The Canon)
Tagging:
1. Peaknit
2. FiG's Mama
3. Lumpyhead's Mom
4. Em
5. Rob
eta: I tagged a lot of moms. LHM pointed out she's read nothing since Ferber - which doesn't seem like the sort of book you pick up because you want to. So, if babies have affected your reading even more than crafting and the internet have cut into mine, I'd like to read about your favorite rather than current selection. Peaknit, you're still on the hook for current.
And, many thanks to Rob who, on his business blog, played along with this. He's a renaissance man, but the blog is that of his publishing company - relevant, but still.... I'm just tickled that he didn't blow it off.
(Geez, I've never edited a post as much as that last paragraph. I'm certain there remain grammatical errors galore, but when you're acutely aware that an author/publisher is reading, you get a little more conscious of the fact that your command of the English language is weakening . Humor me; play along that it was once really strong. That was before I began blogging, of course, so you can't check the facts.)
5 comments:
Wow, your book is even nerdier than mine. :-p
A tag! Oh no. Here's the thing: right now I am reading . . .absolutely nothing. Unless I can count blogs and newspapers, I don't read anything anymore. Nothing. The fifth sentence on page 161 of the last book I read is "With support and understanding from parents at night as well as during the day, such anxieties generally resolve themselves within a few days or weeks."
Yeah. It's fricken Ferber. God I'm lame.
Still on the hook!? Oh, the humanity! Seriously, I have my book, I have actually even looked up age 161 - I just have to find a moment to blog it - so slave driver (ha ha) I will take my tag and run with it...soon:) I just can't keep up with Rob. (I'll pretend I know him and I am trying desperately to keep up with his incredible standards)
Hey, nice semi-colon use. The next thing I'm going to re(read) is Three Men in a Boat because I've got a project in mind for it. If you haven't read it and you feel like dialling your brain into 1890s humour, I can't recommend it enough. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. Happy Christmas. x
I'm with LHM on this one. I have eight books in my bedside table, but they're all baby books. I can recite "The Going to Bed Book" from memory though - does that count?
Post a Comment