23 May 2009

Important Dates


Most loved ones are remembered by two dates, the first typically being a birthdate. Well, I never knew that about Loyd so I count the day he entered my world, the day I met him, stuffed him into my Ford Escort and brought him home. (Adoption, not kidnapping, by the way.)
That was today, May 23.

Today, I am remembering him, missing him, but it doesn't hurt as much as last year. It's hard to describe this awareness of healing without sounding like I'm all over it and no biggie. There's still the sense of something significant missing, it's still big, but it doesn't feel like my heart is being ripped out of my chest over and over again anymore. I guess Time is doing its job.

The photo above is from a hot, early summer day a couple of years ago. Loyd was baking in the sun (there are photos with his eyes open, but I suspect he was sound asleep because he was clearly not watching anything in our yard). I tried to capture how soft his fur was in a photograph. It didn't really work, but looking at this image, I remember how silky his ears were, and what it felt like to stroke them, or dig my fingers (or nose) into that fuzzy spot behind his hear. If you didn't know him, I can't describe it, but if you did, I suspect you know what I'm talking about.

Happy Adoption Day, Loyd. I miss you.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Lloyd did have very soft ears and from doing that same thing with Cleo I know exactly what you're talking about.

peaknits said...

I totally understand how important adoption days are - they are special. And so was Lloyd, what a sweetiepie. That fur, no doubt, was huggable.

MoD said...

He was an ear-snuggler for sure. I miss him too.

angelika and gino said...

Oh, what wonderful tribute to your buddy! Well, unfortunately I never met him in person, but I EXACTLY know what you are speaking about.
All my and our love,
angelika and gino

PS: Gino and I are waiting for you to be back "home" soon.