18 May 2009

Making Things - part 2

I told you I've been making stuff. I suppose I ought to show you a little more.

Pattern: "A Cardigan for Merry":

I like the buttons best.
I received a professional portrait of the sweater's recipient wearing it. I like getting photos of my work in use, but I've never had a garment selected for such an official photo. I guess the parents liked it. Lucky for us all, I knit a big enough size that it fit him even though it was finished much later than I intended.


At the No Coast Craft-O-Rama last year, I got into a discussion with Happy Hermit about non-knitting (or crochet) fiber crafts. We agreed that we aren't that keen on learning to spin because, as she articulated, you make something that then needs to be made into something else. And there are so many people making beautiful yarn I want to knit with that it seems silly to struggle to make it myself. (Never mind that the spinning of Peaknit and Ms. B regularly make me question this theory.) But weaving, now that seemed like it might have some merit for us. We found a Weaving for Knitters (rigid headle loom) class at the MN Weavers Guild (in the Textile Center). It was great. The instructor, Mary Skoy, was fantastic and we learned how to weave with knitting yarn from our leftovers stashes. Behold the 8 hour scarf:
No, I didn't count the hours, but that's pretty close to accurate and relates it to the 8 Year Sweater made of the same yarn.

I'm nearing completion of the Desdemona shawl (Ravelry link). Good thing as the next installment of Shakespeare in Lace will be shipped next week.

I also made a party last weekend. The Pancremaniacs had a little fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure which we're riding in June 6. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures as I was busy explaining the Red Rider cocktail, refilling the potato chip bowl and acting as swing set for FiG.

6 comments:

MoD said...

FiG enjoyed her swing set aunty and the bowl of potato chips. :)

MoD said...

btw, those are the most unbelievably cute buttons!

Lumpyheadsmom said...

That sweater is GORGEOUS.

www.theDiningRoom.at said...

OMG, that sweater is so cute - and the buttons are terrific! And of course I like all things you have done. Lots of love and hugs, angelika and gino

PS: BTW I have re-launched my blog, so whenever you have time peek into eat, please...

peaknits said...

omg, that sweater is so sweet my teeth hurt! Perfect, nice work! And that desdemona is so pretty! btw, I am flattered beyond words to be in the same sentence as Mrs. B. when is comes to spinning - *blushing* :)

Em said...

I want that sweater. For me!! I'm currently finishing up a baby blanket that I thought would be super special for its recipient. The mom to be just got ten blankets including one from a deceased grandma, and she's not that into any of them. Such a conundrum.

Is it bad form to change the recipient if no one knows but me?

You are my knitting equivalent of the Oracle at Delphi.