This morning my brain clicked into the fact that champoinships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club are almost over so I turned to the TV schedule printed in our local paper. "Breakfast at Wimbledon" implies fairly early morning to me so I started looking at the 8 am listings for start time and channel.
Imagine my shock when the first thing I saw was LazyTown starting at 8 on Channel 4. Lazytown? Are you kidding me? An impressionable child who just poured himself a bowl of Froot Loops might be sneaking over to the TV while his parents sleep blissfully unaware of this terrible show I saw on Icelandair both directions?
Let me give you a glimpse, with the disclaimer that I am NOT the target age of 4-7, of my distaste for this show. There are three real people and the rest of the characters are computer generated. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE Sesame Street. I don't mind the combination of real people and well-done muppets. Perhaps the problem is that the "real" characters are far from realistic. I'm positive Sportacus was a Chippendales dancer before he got this gig. And now, he lives in a souped up blimp. Stephanie has bubble-gum pink hair and likes to kick her legs over her head; she must be in training to be a Rockette. Then there's Robbie Rotten who's has prosthetic chin and eyebrows and wrinkles his nose a lot to emphasize a lisp. I'll admit he has the most interesting wardrobe, but this character convinced the 'kids' that veggies were making them sick by sprinkling cirle stickers on them. Talk about projecting the idea that kids are stupid! If the show is really about leading by example as the website says, I've got some problems with the examples.
Well, Wimbledon starts at 11. I better go get a bowl of Cheerios and sneak downstairs....
1 comment:
Though I am not a fan of the show, I wanted to mention that it was created in Iceland. It's creator is actually Sportacus, so I don't know about the Chippendales idea. It is a very strange concept and aesthetic, but sometimes my kids want to watch it and then I say, "Yay Lazytown!"
Post a Comment