25 July 2007

Après j'ai lu, j'ai fait quelque choses

Before I launch into my crafty productivity report, I must direct you to The Flying Apple. This post made me blush and tear up, but I think it will help you understand why I found it so unappealing to leave Vienna.

Friday, I started Clue 4 of Mystery Stole 3, but my heart wasn't quite in it. With two weeks for this clue (despite it being a longer one), I didn't feel much pressure.

Saturday, I got home from an early morning blueberry picking excursion to find that E'Yoak had braved Borders and picked up a copy of the latest Harry Potter for me. If it weren't for all the risk of spoilers, I would have waited to buy it, but he knew I was worried about having all the suspense stolen. I started it right away, but took a break for our babysitting job that night - our godsons were a delight. Sunday, I read almost non-stop. I finished at about 12:30am. I've been catching up on sleep ever since.

Monday and Tuesday, I took over the dining room and cracked out the sewing machine. I started getting reacquainted with my Kenmore by making High Street Messenger Bag by Amy Butler. Am I crazy? This is my third Amy Butler bag and I have had a little trouble with all of them. For starters, I'm guessing her presser foot can handle much more thickness than mine. I also think there are parts that she makes harder than they need to be, but I don't know enough to simplify them. Zippers are a prime example. It would have helped a lot if she'd directed me to make the easier zippers first instead of starting with the most difficult one. Despite that being out of logical order, I could have used the warm up. Oh well. I think sewing the needle roll I've got cut out for Natasha will be a breeze in comparison. I've also been inspired to sew up a few little pouches with leftover fabric. Looks like I'll take over the dining room again tomorrow (and Friday). Anyway, I actually like the end results; take a look:
Closed

partially open
In addition to the zipper in the flap, there's one on the back of the bag and one inside on a hanging pocket/tool organizer flap.


pleated pockets and false bottom


The only thing I don't like is the Velcro tab closure. The Velcro doesn't hold firmly (I used the "no snag" version), but I wasn't ready to try getting a buttonhole through eight layers of cotton and canvas and I wasn't sure I could get the button placed right, either.

This morning, while sketching ideas for the little pouches, I realized I need a new journal. So, I tore down a piece of paper my friend, Janice, gave me to try. I wasn't in the mood to cut book cloth and get out the PVA so I started looking through the paper stash for an appropriately strong soft cover option. Right in front I found a piece of Tyvek I'd painted in a decorative paper class. PERFECT! I trimmed it a bit, but mostly folded for nicer edges. In not much time at all, I have a new book:
I chose the lightning bolt sewing structure in honor of Harry Potter.
That's some hemp thread I had in the drawer - not as nice as waxed linen


I tucked the first and last page into the front and back cover fold-ins to keep everything in order


Best part? It fits perfectly in the pleated pockets. Chiripa!


Lest you think I gave up on knitting, I finished off Miss Dashwood and gifted her and Katja last night. E'Yoak was adorably proud of me, the parents were delighted and the baby didn't seem to mind the luxurious feel of Rowan Calmer.

Fini!


ear flap down - the design of looping the strap through the flap is ingenious!

just button the flap up into the hat for summer

I did knit more than 10 rows of MS3 this morning. I may have lost all chances of winning le maillot a pois rouges, but I'm enjoying the variety of craftiness around here. I have to soak it up; a return to work is starting to haunt my thoughts.

4 comments:

Em said...

I think the ear flaps on that baby hat may be the sweetest thing I have ever seen.

I am going to get started on The Potter as soon I can wrest it away from Cary's sweaty palms.

Glad you have been busy.

Carrie said...

Great job on the messenger bag! I agree 100% about the velcro tab, mine drives me nuts. I agree, too, about the instructions. As much of a pain it was to make, it's a great bag to use and I'm already thinking about another one in fall colors!

I spent 7 months in Vienna in 2001, and I still miss it. :(

Ang said...

What a lovely story from your friend.
I love that bag, I'm not so good with a sewing machine, but that little knitted hat is a must!
you have a wonderful and inspiring blog.

Anonymous said...

OH my dear friend Heather. You are such a sweetheart. This is just a short note to tell you that I/we are alive; there is so much to tell you from your Vienna home but I still have to postpone it until Monday since I am so busy in OUR theDiningRoom, yes it has taken off ! Just to let you know that I am thinking of you and Gino and I are missing you much, but I promise a looooong mail on Monday. An incredible big hug, angelika and gino (who has gone to sleep already, it's past midnight...)