That's the lyric stuck in my brain just now. But, I feel just the opposite. I have less than a week left before I return to my regularly scheduled career. This has given me great incentive to finish up projects (photo shoot tomorrow), but I know there will be a million incomplete things haunting me on Monday.
But, the lack of time that's really bothering me today is about a choice I often make. We stopped into Common Good Books today after a nice pre-birthday/gift-certificate-is-about-to-expire lunch on the patio at WA Frost. As we wandered the aisles, I kept seeing books I'd like to read. Some have been on the list for a while. Others, I'd never heard of (and have probably forgotten already). And the thing that kept running through my head was, "I used to be a reader." This makes me really sad. I feel like I've abandoned my good friends, books. But, you see, I like making things. I like figuring out how to put something together, whether a book, a bag, or a stole/skirt/sock/sweater. I have not figured out how to read and craft at the same time. Audio books are great, but they are not the same as turning the pages of a book. So: read or make? Make or read? Lately, making has been winning. I am a knitter, bookbinder and wanna be seamstress. I don't want to give those up to exercise the literary part of my brain, but I think I need to find a balance.
Speaking of missing out (so that's a stretch, forgive me): I found out today that Secret Pal 11 sign-ups were open. They close today, but I found out early enough to get in on the fun this round. However, I'm winding down six months without a salary. I know I would be a great pal, but I know that doing it would add to my financial worries. So, I'm hanging back. There will be an SP12. Or there will be another Ravelry swap (I skipped "Camp" this summer, too). Or some other fun. I'll have another chance to spoil someone. Maybe it will be you....
4 comments:
I have struggled to decide what hobby to nurture too - sometimes I feel I need a little break from knitting and I'll reintroduce myself to my sewing machine albeit briefly:) I try to read before bed, which usually means bedtime gets later...and later. I think for now I am mostly a knitter. Ravelry swap? Where have a been??:) I didn't join up SP this round either, but I bet you would make a great pal. Your taste is impeccable!
I'm jealous of every minute you have for creativity. I don't think you can choose poorly, do whatever the mood strikes you to do, and no feeling guilty about what gets left behind.
No kidding. I used to be a reader and a knitter! (Not to make light of your dilemma.) I think in Vienna the choice to make things was more obvious given the limitations of printed matter written in English. And lo, you produced like never before. So bask in that glow! I know I am enjoying it vicariously.
This happens to me all too often (finding out late about swaps). So I created the SwapDex (swapdex.blogspot.com) to keep everyone up to date about swap sign-ups. I totally understand about financials as well, it's so far to see seemingly everyone else joining in on all these rad swaps and knowing each one costs $25-$30 plus shipping I just can't join them all.
Post a Comment