14 August 2007

Leos' birthday cake saved by knitter in Vienna

I posted this story over on the Midwester-Wiener blog. Go take a look there if you want to see the wrap-up of our European adventure. Or, read on (sorry it'll be a repeat for those of you who have both blogs in your readers)....

My circle of Viennese friends keeps growing. Last week, I decided to make a Red Wine Chocolate cake like Jutta made for E'Yoak's birthday. Yesterday was the 8th annual Leo picnic and one of my fellow Leos thought she'd really like that cake. Jutta had given us a couple of recipes in German. I tried one and it was a total failure. I had to guess at the amount of baking powder in a "packet." Instead of using my brain and mixing it like I always mix cakes, I tried to follow the vague instructions. It was AWFUL. I posted about it here late at night, while waiting for it to cool a bit before tipping it out of the pan. By morning, there was an email waiting for me. A woman who had seen me at World Wide Knit In Public day in the Volksgarten wrote to tell me that, while she hadn't talked to me that day, she admired my yarn and found a link to my blog at Rita's website. She offered her grandmother's recipe for the cake which I gladly accepted. She sent it and a translation, including the number of grams in her packets of baking powder (VERY helpful) and I made it late Friday night. It was a big hit at the party, especially with vanilla ice cream. Vielen dank, Leandra!

Now, because I don't like to give you too many posts without photos, here's Loyd, willing ElectricYoak to take him for a walk or give him a treat.

2 comments:

Professor Howdy said...



Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!



:O)

Anonymous said...

Oops... a moment ago. I thought this is a cake recipe blog. :)